Thursday 10 December 2015

Product Review: Shea Moisture Jamaican black castor oil strengthen and restore shampoo




When it comes to my hair, I've been quite relaxed about it recently which is not great since I am currently on a natural hair journey. I haven’t been strictly sticking to my regimen and since my hair is always in a protective style it is easy to get so consumed with other things and neglect it. So my hair regimen has changed and I now wash and deep condition my hair every two weeks (well this is what I’m supposed to do).  I will be changing this in the new year as I will be embarking on a 6 month hair growth challenge (eek)!

Currently I am using the Shea Moisture Jamaican black castor oil strengthen and restore shampoo and I must say I am absolutely loving it and so does my hair. So I purchased it back in September when I was in Chicago way before it was so easily available in Boots! I used to be an avid fan of co-washing however; I did find that my scalp was in desperate need of clarifying so I started the hunt for a non-toxic, sulphate-free, paraben-free shampoo. There are quite a few on the market (not the easiest to get hold of but hey!). I’ve wanted to try the brand for a while so when I went over to the US and saw the new castor oil range I had to try it and I think I made a pretty good choice too.

I absolutely love most (not all) of ingredients in this shampoo (Shea Butter, Apple cider vinegar and Caster oil…favesss) and they seem to agree with my scalp and hair. When it comes to shampooing, a little tip I’ve learnt on this journey is to only wash your scalp and not your actual hair. I divide my hair into two sections and wash one side at a time. A little goes a long way and it lathers quite instantly but at a really good soft consistency. It leaves my scalp feeling clean but moisturised and not dry, I can go two even 3 weeks without putting anything on my scalp (BTW how do you guys feels about the whole oiling/not oiling your scalp?). It really does what it says on this tin- which is:  Encourages hair to grow longer by nourishing and strengthening damaged or chemically processed hair, reduces the appearance of breakage and shedding and regulates and balances pH levels on the scalp, while softening hair to promote enhanced growth. Any cons? Yes this product contains fragrance- parfum which could mean a variety of oils or synthetic fragrances.

Overall my scalp and I have had issues and misunderstandings in the past but I really think I'm onto something here! Oh and lastly! The smell? It's pleasant!

The shampoo doesn't come with a complementing conditioner but also in the Jamaican castor oil range comes a strengthening mask and a leave-in conditioner. All are available at Boots UK.

Verdict: YAY

Overall VB verdict: 4/5




Ingredients:

Water, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed, Keratin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter***, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Yeast Extract, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Tocopherol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vinegar, Butylene Glycol, Niacin, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Dextran, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel"


Know your brands:


Brand statement: We are natural, organic, sustainably-produced goodness. Made with love for you and your body. Pioneering fair trade through Community Commerce at home and abroad. We strive to be sulfate free, paraben free, and more, whenever possible. Tested on our family for four generations. Never on animals.(Taken from ww.sheamoisture.com)


#knowyourbrands



XO Verified Beauty
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Verified Beauty. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig